2012 is fast coming to a close with 2013 quickly approaching in its wake. Thank you for sharing this incredible journey with us. The office will close on December 19th, 2012 and resume on January 7th, 2013.
Some of the key moments for women’s empowerment and gender equality in 2012 include:
- HE Joyce Banda becomes second female Head of State in Africa
- Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma elected as first female AUC Chairperson
- Revamping of our website
- Ratification of AU Protocol on the Rights of Women by four AU Member states (Cote D’Ivoire, Congo, Gabon, Swaziland) bringing the total number of ratifications to 35
- Unprecedented elections in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Senegal and Somalia resulting in unprecedented numbers of women in parliament in Algeria and Senegal as well as two female ministers in Somalia . Read our leadership updates for more information.
- Regional African Women’s Organizations Mobilizing African women to engage in Post 2015 Consultations – See Communiqué for more information (English/French)
- Long awaited launch of Herstory (FEMNET’s story) by Pres. Joyce Banda
- Fourth Annual Conference for African Women in Political Leadership officiated by Pres. Joyce Banda (Photos)
- Launch of CPDE (Civil society partnership for Development Effectiveness)
Taking a look back at some of our publications in 2012:
- 2011 Annual Report (English/French)
- Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment through Gender Responsive Trade Agreements (English/French)
- Engagement with Africa UNiTE (English/French)
- Gender Equality & Women’s Rights in Busan Outcome Document (English)
- Men to Men Strategy Toolkit to end GBV (English)
- Zero Tolerance Campaign Guidelines (English/French)
- Working Report on AU Protocol Mapping (English/French)
- African Women’s Position Paper on Post 2015 Development Agenda (English/French)
- Leadership Updates (English/French)
- Herstory (English)
Looking forward to engaging with you further to promote women’s empowerment and gender equality in 2013!
Wishing you and your loved ones a joyous and festive holiday season full of love, joy, good health and countless blessings!